Thursday, September 29, 2005

Distance


Today I worked with kids who find learning
pretty rough
they fascinate me
they are funny, they are kind, some are poor
one turned 17 today and I know he didn't
have anything to go home too the way I did
growing up, but he still had a big smile
Another kid totally cracks me up
I can't look at him sometimes because he makes
me laugh and he knows it
he has been throwing pencils up in the roof and
does it just before the bell, he is so appropriate,
gets his work done and then does that
and I let him
some others can't read, and give up
they feel dumb and it reminds me of times when
I didn't understand the simplest concept
until it was explained 400 times
one of the colleagues I work with spent a lot
of time helping me in high school, in my new wisdom as
a teacher I still ask questions all the time until I get it
So I do that with Kait and others, I remind them
to keep asking...
u are not dumb
ur brain is just different
I hate it when people think people with learning disabiliites or
special needs are less they are not.
I am not
They are not
So when I was with Shaymo
I had to admit something
she handled it with class
I can't do certain things
Every paper I handed in to University
was edited so heavily
I know I am smart
but some things I don't get
I was the kid who got math
but couldn't certain parts at all
or understand parts of grammar
and still finds things puzzling
don't ask me about patterns or where to
put a comma
Thanks Ms. Offutt for working with me
and not embarrassing me
as a colleague I appreciate u
as a teenager I went 2 u for help
because u didn't make me feel dumb
Today I realized the distance between
Shaymo and I is hard
it reminds me of an old romance
I want to jump through the phone
show her everything and then I hear
her voice and mellow out or listen to a song
and it makes it better
Thanks for taking over when I needed u
it just made it easier without explaining

You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
You're beautiful, it's true.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you're not alone with the grammar thing. I had to take a remedial English course my first year of university because I couldn't figure out when to use a comma. I would either put in too many, or not enough, or in the entirely wrong spot. Even typing this I've had to go back three times to decide if my commas are okay.

On the bright side, who cares! You are a lot smarter than a lot of the people I know, and, you have Shaymo. You are my hero and will continue to be my hero unless you make fun of my eye. ;) See, even the computer does it. :)

meelo said...

you are one of the most intelligent people i've ever had the privilege of meeting. i hope repetitiveness doesn't weaken the value of this statement, because it's true: i absolutely love the way your mind works. i love what you have to say, what you write, and how you process everything around you. you inspire me in so many ways, and every time we talk about the kids whose lives you are touching, my heart swells with pride. those kids love you so much and you have touched their lives in ways they will never forget - hey, look at us and the educators who've become lifelong friends (beth, sandy, etc.). you are beautiful. i love you.

sang-froid said...

I can use a comma but I can't be optimistic
I can read fast but I can't talk to people in a room
I can write blogs but I can't pick up a phone and call someone to make an appointment
I can get up in the morning but I will never have naturally curly hair
It makes me sad
The things I can do get stuff done but they don't make people smile when they see me
Who is ever happy when they see the crazy comma person enter the room???

Anonymous said...

Ya know, I can write fairly well however I am directionally challenged. I can sing pretty well but I can't sight read music. I can love my children unconditionally however it gets a bit harder when it comes to myself. Some of the most intelligent people I know (my daughter #2 is one of them...so is my husband) do not learn in the same way the average person does. To view them as less would be doing a great disservice to them... and to you! You are wonderful and that is what matters. You care about kids and you love Camille (she's special to me so that makes you tops in my book!) and you are making a difference in those kids lives. To all that I say "Brava!" Peace.