K we won in ball hockey tonight
After about 17 games of losing
Our team should win the spirit awards
I worked today in Grade 4/5
The disturbed girl drew a picture
It was a dog and she is super artistic
Unfortunately she wrote underneath
"taking a shit"
Secretly I smirked it was funny
but not appropriate
So instead of sending her to the
principal
or let the regular teacher know
I asked her to erase it
and she did and I think she just wanted
to see my reaction
she then drew a sidewalk over her
fine english grammar
I think some would disagree but the
last thing I wanted was to send another
problem home
to her already abusive
household
and maybe the
dog was
"taking a shit"
which is what dogs do
everyday
It still makes me smile
because she had the guts
to show me
she is so interesting to watch.
4 comments:
hey babe - glad y'all won. sorry i missed you. it's too early for me to be awake!!! ahhh...i just want to sleep my life away sometimes. oh well. i'll be back in a few days and i'll email ASAP. much love
Hey Christine!
Saw your comment on Rosie's blog and had to check out yours! I grew up in Kitimat - brings back good memories! Hope you don't mind if I check in from time to time!
My brother, Matthew, has CP and borderline hydrocephalus. He is the light of our lives and an amazing kid (he's 32!) He is quite high functioning and is an avid participant in Special O - bowling and downhill skiing. Raymond was a treasure.
You sound like an amazing educator - my admiration is deep.
Cheers!
Heather
How funny that she wrote taking a shit! And I think your reaction was perfect. And as you say, maybe the dog was taking a shit....Mine sure does, multiple times daily! YUCK....I hate that part. I wish he would save if for in the morning or at night when the hubby is here to deal with it! I guess that would be asking too much!
I am glad it was you who saw her fine english grammar and not another teacher who might have taken the girl to the principal. It may have pal in it, but they are not always pals, are they!
i am glad to hear that you made her erase the words, and not report it.
Sometimes, it is teachers like you that make a world of difference to abused children like us.
Love,
Sarah
Post a Comment