Friday, February 03, 2006

Senseless Death


This week Fletcher
killed a bird
He was proud
puffed up his chest
did a little dance
I was annoyed
So I put a bell
on him
he flipped around
for over an hour
Since that time he
has not killed again
but I am disappointed
in my parenting.
Where did I go wrong?

8 comments:

meelo said...

he learned it from scarlett, not you. and we both know scarlett cannot be controlled.

Anonymous said...

Fletcher is a most astute cat. He realizes that, to be a part of the family, he must help to provide. All he is doing is trying his kitty-cat best to provide for you and Scarlett. He should be praised for his bravery and masterful hunting skills.

www.kimmy.cc said...

It's the basic drive that drives us all. That animal instinct. That is not so bad sometimes ;)

I love that picture, he is stunning!

sang-froid said...

Who are you to deny Fletcher his heritage? He's a CAT - and killing birds is what cats do. Do you really think that your pathetic attempts to tell him "no" are going to alter thousands of years of primal instinct?

You went wrong as a parent when you thought you had control over your cat in that way. Putting a bell on him may appease your liberal conscious, but it doesn't make you a better parent - it makes you a whacked out environmentalist, and turns your cat into a frustrated animal. Dogs chase cats, cats kill birds. It's part of life.

sang-froid said...

Man, I hate it when I've got a good tirade going and I don't check my spelling. That's liberal conscience, not conscious. Takes some of the sting out of the slap, you know??

Anonymous said...

Ohmaaannnnn...Fletcher! How could you?! LOL You know "Mom" that he was just trying to make you proud! teehee...peace.

Snades said...

It is astonishing to me that Fletcher got up the energy to pounce on a little yellow bird. Every time I see him, he's "manfully" snoozing on the couch. Like all the other men I know. He's so very tired. I don't think he will do it again. And for sure Scarlett bullied him into it.

intrathecally speaking said...

http://www.theadvocates.org/freeman/8903lemi.html